About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
We are looking for a an experienced policy analyst to join our global team, based in our Washington, DC office. The policy analyst will work on issues at the intersection of human rights and technology to help in the organization’s mission to defend and extend the rights of users at risk.
Access Now’s Washington, DC office brings an international perspective to policy conversations and processes in the U.S. in an effort to introduce long-term systemic improvements in laws, regulations, norms, and other public and private systems, including at both the federal and state level. As a member of the global policy team, the policy analyst will also have the opportunity to work on and lead on issues internationally, including through engagement with governments, intergovernmental agencies, courts, companies, and expert bodies. The analyst will work to advance existing policy priorities for the office, including, for example, data protection, surveillance reform, and digital security. There are also ample opportunities for the policy counsel to develop and exercise expertise in their own areas of interest, including developing regional and international projects that fit into the organization’s scope of work.
The policy analyst will report to the U.S. Policy Manager and the Policy Director and will work closely with our global team, including our policy, advocacy, and technology teams based in offices around the world. We are looking for a self-started, creative problem solver who wants to learn and grow as a professional and is excited about working in a global, multicultural team. As an international organization, this job may occasionally demand work outside of regular working hours and in can include travel domestically and abroad.
What You Will Do
Our Policy Analyst will help define and execute Access Now’s U.S. policy strategies and priorities, at the federal and state levels, and will help our team on issues internationally. There will also be management and mentorship opportunities with interns, fellows, or fellow staff. The following are a wide variety of activities the Policy Analyst can expect to engage in:
- Help us think through the big issues – Identify, examine, and track new and emerging issues in tech law and policy through a human rights lens. Engage in research and analysis to formulate and build out evidence-based positions and craft strategies to pursue them, including identifying short- and long-term benchmarks and opportunities for engagement.
- Be an advocate – Pursue implementation of our policies by engaging with relevant stakeholders. We encourage you to be creative and think through what paths would be most effective in each case. This could mean taking meetings with legislative and political staff, writing comments to administrative agencies, collaborating with partners and building coalitions, or reaching out to experts in inter-governmental bodies. It may also mean working with our advocacy teams to build substance-driven campaigns focused on reaching the public or key stakeholders.
- Be a partner – Represent Access Now in coalitions at meetings or events — or build your own. These coalitions may include representatives from other organizations or companies as well as experts and academics, depending on the issue.
- Be a messenger – Our policies are nothing if we can’t communicate them to the right people, both the expert as well as the layperson. You’ll help us translate our work, and the underlying issues, to our target audiences, including on the Access Now blog, through our range of publications, at events and on panels, and in the media. This will require both domestic and international travel, including to RightsCon (Access Now’s annual conference).
- Develop and maintain relationships – Members of the U.S. Congress, coalition partners, journalists, and government representatives are just a few of the communities with whom you’ll be asked to engage and build relationships. These relationships should help you in all other aspects of your work.
You Should Have
You’ve got this. The below items shouldn’t be considered a checklist and we don’t expect you to have it all. Instead, use this as a guide for types of experience that we will be looking out for:
- A level of education and experience (we’d like to see 3-5 years of professional-level experience) to allow you to contribute meaningfully to Access Now’s policy team
- Passion for mission-driven work and some background in tech, policy, human rights, and/or U.S. legislative affairs
- Understanding of and experience working with the U.S. legislative and/or regulatory processes
- Comfort communicating with people from different backgrounds and with different levels of expertise
- Respect for and desire to work with a dynamic, international team of diverse and wonderful people
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment. This means an ability to prioritize and juggle multiple deadlines with the help of your managers.
- At minimum, a basic understanding of the internet and its related technologies
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of other languages can be useful and will be considered, though not required.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC.
Access Now offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, along with a benefits package.
To apply, send an email to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Résumé (one page is strongly preferred)
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role. We encourage applicants to use this opportunity to envision what you might accomplish with the position, and how – including highlighting developed expertise that fits into Access Now’s mission and priorities.
- Name, contact information, and relationship to two professional references
Please reference your email application subject line with: “U.S. Policy Analyst – [Your Name]
Deadline: Friday, July 5; 15:30 EDT.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.