About Access Now and the Helpline
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. By combining direct technical support, comprehensive policy engagement, global advocacy, legal interventions, grassroots grantmaking, and convenings such as RightsCon, we fight for human rights in the digital age.
The Access Now Digital Security Helpline is a globally distributed team who provides 24/7 incident response and digital security advice for civil society around the world. We offer real-time, direct technical assistance and advice to civil society groups & activists, media organizations, journalists & bloggers, and human rights defenders.
About the Role
As Shift Manager you will lead the operations of the Digital Security Helpline team in the region. You will manage a team of technologists, providing real-time direct technical assistance to at-risk users in the world. You will support the local team in managing the case workload, and will contribute to problem-solving on the daily operations. You will be an instrumental part of the Helpline management team, and will contribute to the development and improvement of processes, workflows and documentation of the global Helpline operation.
This role is perfect for a confident and skilled manager that cares deeply about Human Rights, understands the value of a process-driven operation and is passionate for the mission of the Digital Security Helpline.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead, manage and support the Digital Security Helpline team in the region
- Plan, coordinate and prioritize the regional Helpline workload, shifts and capacity
- Look after the quality of work and compliance to established procedures for cases managed by the regional team
- Advocate for and support the personal and professional development of the Helpline team in the region
- Support the overall management and process improvements for the operation of the Digital Security Helpline, as part of the Helpline management team
- Contribute to the development, review and curation of documentation to strengthen the Helpline’s knowledge database
- Contribute to the strategic programmatic direction of the Digital Security Helpline
- Assist at-risk users dealing with incidents via various communications methods such as email, chat and video, as required
- Other duties or tasks as asked of you by the Helpline Director
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong people management skills with an ability to lead and motivate a diverse team in charge of responding to digital emergencies in real time
- Interest in, or prior experience working with women and/or queer communities, civil society, and Human Rights defender organizations in the region
- Strong ability to plan, organize, execute, and bring tasks and projects to completion
- Experience with process-driven operations, establishing key performance indicators (KPIs), metrics, and the ability to articulate impact
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and Arabic
- Strong cultural understanding and experience across the region
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a group to produce successful results
- Technical understanding of the internet, and the digital threats faced by victims of human rights abuse and human rights activists and defenders
- Familiarity with response protocols for digital security incidents
- Willingness to travel on occasion
We do not expect applicants to have every skill and ability described above. We expect this Team Member to grow into their role, and to also make it their own. Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply. We are keen to receive applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the security and/or technology communities — even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
A level of education that when combined with your professional experience will show you have the capability to contribute meaningfully to the Access Now Digital Security Helpline and the users we support. Candidates who have relevant academic degrees (Master degree, Engineering degree), security certifications (Security+ and similar) or project management certifications (PMP and similar) are encouraged to apply, but this is a plus — not a requirement.
Location, Compensation, and Benefits
This is a full-time position based in Tunis. We anticipate a salary starting from 7,500د.ت TND Gross monthly.
We offer benefits to help our employees embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. Those include travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise! Additional benefits available for our Tunisian employees include:
- Up to 40 days of paid leave per year (holidays, vacations, personal days, end-of-year closure)
- Health and dental insurance
- Access to complementary retirement programme
- 13th month Salary
- Occasional work from home arrangements possible
- Refresher leave after 4 years of continuous employment
Send an email with the subject line “Tunis Shift Manager – [Your Name]” to [email protected] with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability and vision for the role
- Two references
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at [email protected]; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.