The Organization and Role
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. By combining direct technical support, comprehensive policy engagement, global advocacy, legal interventions, grassroots grantmaking, and convenings such as RightsCon, we fight for human rights in the digital age.
Our Digital Security Helpline is a globally distributed team which provides 24/7 incident response and digital security advice for civil society around the world. We offer real-time, direct technical assistance and advice to civil society groups & activists, media organizations, journalists & bloggers, and human rights defenders.
About the role
As Shift Manager you will lead the operations of the Digital Security Helpline team in the America’s region. You will manage a team of technologists, providing real-time direct technical assistance to at-risk users in the world. You will look after the well-being of the local team, support the management of the case workload, and will contribute to problem-solving on the daily operations. You will be an instrumental part of the Helpline management team, and will contribute to the development and improvement of processes, workflows and documentation of the global Helpline operation.
This role is perfect for a confident and skilled manager that cares deeply about Human Rights, understands the value of a process-driven operation and is passionate for the mission of the Digital Security Helpline.
What you will do
- Lead, manage and support the Digital Security Helpline team in the region
- Plan, coordinate and prioritize the regional Helpline workload, shifts and capacity
- Look after the quality of work and compliance to established procedures for cases managed by the regional team
- Perform analysis and reporting of different metrics of team performance and incident handling
- Advocate for and support the personal and professional development of the Helpline team in the region
- Support the overall management and process improvements for the operation of the Digital Security Helpline, as part of the Helpline management team
- Lead and/or support hiring and onboarding of new staff members in the region and beyond
- Contribute to the development, review and curation of documentation to strengthen the Helpline’s knowledge database
- Contribute to the strategic programmatic direction of the Digital Security Helpline
- Assist at-risk users dealing with incidents via various communications methods such as email, chat and video, as required
- Other duties or tasks as asked of you by the Helpline Director
Skills and mindset you bring
- Strong people management skills with an ability to lead and motivate a diverse team in charge of responding to digital emergencies in real time
- Interest in, or prior experience working with women and/or queer communities, civil society, and Human Rights defender organizations in the region
- Strong ability to plan, organize, execute, and bring tasks and projects to completion
- Experience with process-driven operations, establishing key performance indicators, metrics, and the ability to articulate impact
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and Spanish; fluency in Portuguese is a plus
- Strong cultural understanding and experience across the region
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a group to produce successful results
- Technical understanding of the internet, and the digital threats faced by victims of human rights abuse and human rights activists and defenders
- Familiarity with response protocols for digital security incidents
- Combined level of education and professional experience that shows your capability to contribute meaningfully to the Access Now Digital Security Helpline
- Willingness to travel on occasion
Helpful to have
- Relevant academic degrees (Master degree, Engineering degree)
- Security certifications (Security+ and similar)
- Project management certifications (PMP and similar)
We do not expect applicants to have every skill and ability described above. We expect this Team Member to grow into their role, and to also make it their own – even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
Location and Time Commitment
This is a full-time position, based in San José, Costa Rica.
Access Now offers competitive salary – commensurate with experience – and benefits packages that align with our office localities. For this role, initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated at $3,200 USD, gross monthly
We offer benefits to help our employees embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. Those include travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise! Additional benefits available for our Costa Rica-based employees include:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program that provides up to 36-40 days of paid leave per year (holidays, vacations, personal days, end-of-year closure)
- 13th month salary
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as photo, age, gender, marital status, and address)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your relevant experiences
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.