About Access Now
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Technology, and Grant-making teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Digital Security Helpline team at Access Now
The Access Now Helpline team (https://www.accessnow.org/help) provides technical advice, digital security resources, and support for activists and civil society in circumstances where communications are not open, free, and safe. Through a detailed understanding of the landscape of threats facing human rights defenders and the capabilities and limits of existing privacy and anonymity tools, we aim to effect positive systemic change to extend the enjoyment of digital rights of users at risk around the world.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
As the Access Now Security Technologist, you will:
- Assess, sustain, and secure the organization’s technical infrastructure, including critical systems with high availability needs, with the Systems Administrator;
- Support internal security implementation within the Helpline and Access Now team to ensure internal practices and systems meet the confidentiality, integrity, and availability needs of high-risk groups;
- Use deep experience in security technology practices to aid helpline advice and support for high-risk users and communities
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- At least 5 years experience with security provisioning, administration, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, hardening of servers and endpoint devices across a distributed team;
- At least 5 years experience with Debian Linux server administration and hardening;
- Understanding of how information controls and surveillance technologies works;
- Experience in risk assessment, operational security planning, and information security policies preferred;
- Experience providing security support for high-risk individuals, groups, or organizations preferred;
- Experience with ticketing systems, collaborative and project management software;
- Experience with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS operating systems for users;
- Strong ability to plan and follow through with projects in an organized and efficient manner;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and manage priorities;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent English written and oral skills.
This is a full time position and we are accepting applications from anywhere in the world, with a preference to locations with existing Access Now offices.
Time Commitment & Salary
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
We offer benefits to help our employees embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. This can include technical training, language training, travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise!
Please send an email to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- The names and contact details of two references (only one may be academic)
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply for this important position at Access Now.
Please remember to reference your email application with the subject line: “Security Technologist – [Your Name]” as the subject line.
Published 14th April 2018, rolling until filled.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Ben Whelan, Global Risk and Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org; PGP Key: 0x1F2EC60E, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.