About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, Helpline, RightsCon, grants, legal, and operations teams are present in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The Communications Associate works within the RightsCon team, and across all Access Now teams, to support the design and execution of communications, social media, and press strategies for the RightsCon Summit Series (rightscon.org). This role requires a strong understanding of and appreciation for the key issues and challenges facing the internet combined with excellent communication skills, a strong understanding of social media management and press relations, the ability to drive processes and timelines to meet deadlines, and an unwavering attention to detail.
What You Will Do
The RightsCon Communications Associate reports to the RightsCon Director, and works closely with the event producer and the Access Now advocacy team to design, coordinate, and implement the RightsCon communications strategy. They implement both internal and external communications processes of RightsCon, helping to shape a world-class, cutting-edge summit.
Communications and marketing management
- Design and manage communications, marketing, and outreach strategies to support year-round engagement with existing and new community members
- Leverage RightsCon platforms, including the website, newsletter, blog, and social media to strategically support RightsCon mission and goals
- Draft communications materials, including blog posts, content for the website, internal and outreach templates
- Assist with attendee, speaker, and panelist outreach and communications, including drafting invites and tracking responses
Social media, website, and design management
- Manage, draft, and publish content on RightsCon channels through the creation of a social media calendar
- Monitor and report on the reach and impact of RightsCon engagement tools
- Target social media influencers and employ creative tactics to drive organic growth for the community
- Draft content across all RightsCon platforms, including Eventbrite, Sched, the Program Platform, and more, to facilitate a clear participant engagement journey
- Actively monitor the website to maximize opportunities for engagement, featuring priority content, and maintaining best practices for UX and accessibility
- Liaise with the design team and external design consultants to produce RightsCon materials, and publications
Press outreach and management
- Develop and manage a press outreach strategy for RightsCon
- Assist in liaising with press in the lead up to RightsCon, including coordinating press pass processes, preparing press materials, identifying areas for media coverage, and recording press hits
- Prepare materials for Access Now team to liaise with press
- You are a highly organized and an excellent communicator, able to liaise with many people from various backgrounds, via multiple platforms
- You are an excellent editor, with the ability to tailor communications to diverse audiences
- You are an enthusiastic team player, with experience managing complex projects across time zones
- You are able to able to manage competing and urgent tasks, as well as long-term and sustained projects, taking them to completion, and reporting progress to stakeholders
- You have a deep respect for cultural, linguistic, identity, regional, and accessibility differences and diversity. You appreciate diverse and differing cultures and political systems, and how to support the team and wider organization in navigating them.
- You are passionate about community-building and leveraging communications tools to support greater coordination in the human rights space.
- You have some understanding of human rights and technology, and interest in learning more about the issues covered by RightsCon
- Excellent spoken, expository, and persuasive writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated experience drafting engaging content, including newsletters and blog posts
- Experience leveraging social media to grow a community, amplify an event, and demonstrably reach a specific audience
- Web asset management and back-end experience with WordPress
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to engage with a wide range of people from around the world
- A university/college degree (or equivalent practical experience) related to human rights, policy, business development, journalism, law, or another relevant field
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically
Great to Have
- Experience using Engaging Networks or other email marketing tools and softwares
- Fluency in at least one language other than English – preferably Spanish
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud to assist in the development of image assets for the website and social media
This is a full-time position based ideally in Access Now’s San José, CR office – or in its New York City or Washington, DC, USA office. (Costa Rica is the location of RightsCon in 2020). Other locations in which Access Now has registered offices might be considered for the right candidate.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, send an email with “RightsCon Communications Associate – [Your Name]” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter
- Two references
As an international human rights organization committed to inclusion, Access Now is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity, and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x676DA406.