About the Contract
Access Now is requesting proposals for a Production Manager or Event Firm to oversee the coordination of the ninth edition of our annual flagship conference RightsCon to be held on June 9-12, 2020 at the Costa Rica Convention Center in San Jose, Costa Rica. The contract will begin in November 2019 in a limited capacity before translating into a full-time set of deliverables for approximately 2 months ahead of the event. It is envisioned that this relationship will continue annually for future iterations of the conference.
Hosted by Access Now, RightsCon is the leading global summit on human rights in the digital age. It’s where the world’s human rights experts, business leaders, technologists, engineers, investors, activists, and government representatives come together to share ideas, build strategies, showcase new technologies, and create tomorrow’s internet. It is an energizing reminder of the existence of a powerful global digital rights community that is determined to defend human rights and keep the internet open and free.
Convened in locations that are power centers for the internet, RightsCon rotates each year around the world to various global cities. Our most recent event, RightsCon Tunis 2019, convened nearly 3,000 participants from 120 countries and 700+ organizations. In 2020, RightsCon will be hosted in San Jose, Costa Rica. RightsCon Costa Rica 2020 will be our ninth event, with projections of 3,000+ active participants.
Scope of Work
Oversight and consultation that includes, but is not limited to:
- Execute and refine the existing master production plan and timeline
- Assign and delegate tasks to production team
- Organize facilities and manage all event details with the conference center and other vendors such as decor, catering, entertainment, transportation, location, equipment, design, select travel, and accommodation
- Work with the RightsCon Director to manage and reconcile event budget, expenses, and timelines. Adhere to project timelines and budget guidelines.
- Create and oversee production and material related elements of event, including stage builds, lounges, community villages and exhibition booths, registration tables, and event swag
- Create event staffing plan and assignments for the conference, including volunteers
- Arrange venue walk-through(s) for production staff and the Access Now Operations team
- Coordinate and track all vendor delivery schedules and coordinate and track setup and site build
- Create and manage run-of-show throughout the event, ensuring coordination between all staff
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations
- Manage and execute event debrief including analyzing post conference evaluations as well as recommended improvements and changes
This consultant or firm works closely with Access Now’s RightsCon Director, the RightsCon team, and occasionally liaises with the org’s Executive Director and members of the Operations team.
Multiple years of relevant professional experience in event production, with thorough understanding of major international multi-track conferences. Respondents should possess cultural sensitivity and the ability to communicate with a wide range of people from around the world – as well as demonstrate knowledge and respect of relevant international human rights and technology issues.
Client is located in New York with offices in San José (Costa Rica), Washington, DC, and other global locations. Contract can be fulfilled from any location and will involve occasional travel to NYC and San José, as well as bi-monthly web conference calls with Access Now.
Submitting Your Proposal
Send an email by 5 November 2019 with “RC Production Manager/Firm – [your/firm name here]” to email@example.com, with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining suitability for the contract
- Description of services offered and costs for each service/deliverable
- Customer and event references
- Relevant CV or Portfolio
About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. Our Policy, Technology, and Advocacy teams work together to achieve our mission through our global presence in Europe, Latin America, Middle East, North Africa, North America, South East Asia, and beyond, and engagement platforms as RightsCon.
– – – – –
As an international human rights organization committed to inclusion, Access Now is an equal opportunity employer/contractor. We value and encourage diversity, and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org; PGP Key: 0x676DA406.