Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, working on issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Team members are distributed across six continents, working locally, regionally, and globally to achieve our mission.
About the role
The RightsCon Communications Manager is an important role within the RightsCon team, responsible for leveraging a range of online tools to engage and expand the diverse RightsCon community toward a shared agenda for human rights in the digital age. Functions encompass communications strategy, marketing, social media, website management, and outreach management.
This position is housed within the RightsCon team and reports through the RightsCon Director, and liaises closely with members of advocacy and communications teams.
What you will do
Communications strategy and marketing management
- Design and manage communications, marketing, and outreach strategies to support year-round engagement, including for our 10th anniversary in 2021, with existing and new community members
- Use current and historic data sources to further audience segmentation and develop clear indicators of growth/impact/success
- Develop and lead a communications schedule for the five-day event, including creating a schedule for content and executing all engagement opportunities
- Leverage RightsCon platforms, including the website, newsletter, blog, and social media to strategically support RightsCon mission and goals
- Draft communications materials, including blog posts, content for the website, internal and outreach templates, to support programmatic and operational success
- Draft content across all RightsCon platforms, including the summit event platform, website, proposal portal, and more, to facilitate a clear participant journey
Social media, website, and design management
- Coordinate with design team to create multimedia content adapted to various platforms
- Run RightsCon social media accounts in coordination with the Access Now advocacy team (including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn)
- Create a social media calendar and maintaining a regular publishing schedule that reflects and leverages the work of RightsCon and the global human rights community
- Offer constructive, community-building, and tactful interactions with audiences across channels
- Actively monitor website to maximize opportunities for engagement, featuring priority content, and maintaining best practices for UX and accessibility
- Liaise with design team and external design consultants to produce RightsCon materials, and publications
Press outreach and management
- Develop and manage a press outreach strategy for RightsCon
- Assist in liaising with press in lead up to RightsCon, including coordinating press pass processes, preparing press materials, identifying areas for media coverage, and recording press hits
You will have a passion for, and track record of success in, connecting with online communities and developing high-impact digital content. You are a creative and empathetic communicator, as well as a thoughtful, goal-oriented planner who doesn’t mind crunching a few numbers to track outcomes. Most importantly, you have a finely-tuned attention to detail, a commitment to excellence, a strong sense of humor and team spirit, the ability to own and independently manage multiple projects at once, and an appetite to continuously learn new tools and tactics. You are ready to be a thought partner to your teammates in identifying opportunities for impact, and to keep RightsCon’s mission at the forefront of day-to-day work.
- Passion for the mission, with understanding of the unique challenges at-risk and marginalized communities are confronting
- Familiarity with (or a demonstrated willingness to learn about) developments in technology and its impact on human rights
- Four to six years of experience using communications tools to expand engagement in a network, community, or event
- Experience managing a community contact database and leveraging newsletter content to drive sign-ups and build retention
- Knowledge of platform-native analytics tools, and the ability to translate analytics to meaningful learnings to adapt strategies and deepen impact
- Native-level fluency in English, with meticulous attention to grammar and style, and the ability to edit your own work
- Strong persuasive writing skills and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
- Strong internal and external communication skills, paired with cultural sensitivity and passion for human rights issues
- Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
It’s very helpful if you have
- Past experience with WordPress or a similar content management system (CMS)
- Past experience with Matomo or other website analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of building data visualizations with web tools, such as Google Data Studio or Infogram
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- High-level proficiency and ability to write persuasive, compelling content in a second language
Time Commitment and Location
This is a full-time position. We are accepting applications from qualified individuals in Belgium, Costa Rica, Germany, Tunisia, and the United States. Preference is for someone able to work from one of our office locations — when they reopen — in Berlin, Brussels, New York, San José (Costa Rica), Tunis, or Washington, DC. The successful candidate must have work authorization in the location on which they will be based. We will be unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Team members from all regions also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through our Access Now career openings page:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, and your salary expectations
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our career openings page; email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.