About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, RightsCon, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The Program Associate will work within the RightsCon team, and across all Access Now teams, to support the coordination and execution of the RightsCon Summit Series (rightscon.org). The incumbent will report to the RightsCon Program and Community Manager, and work closely with the RightsCon Director, with the event producer, and the Access Now Policy Team to coordinate, operationalize and implement strategic, partnership and logistical elements for a successful conference program and participant journey – including inter-sessional work based on event outcomes. They will implement both internal and external processes of RightsCon, helping to shape a world-class and cutting-edge platform.
You come with a strong understanding of and appreciation for the key issues and challenges facing the internet (and its users) – combined with excellent project management skills, the ability to drive processes and timelines to meet deadlines, and an unwavering attention to detail. You are a highly organized and an excellent communicator, able to liaison with many people from various backgrounds. You are a highly enthusiastic team player, with experience working on complex projects involving many people in often in different time zones.
What You Will Do
Program support in coordination with the Program and Community Manager:
- Support the management and execution of session excellence for community-sourced programming
- Support the management and development of the RightsCon Program, including assistance for calls for proposals and submissions review phases, and on designing and communicating a clear participant journey to the larger community
- Identify and support the design and execution of various program sessions – including communicating with external session organizers
- Identify and support design and execution – including communicating with external session organizers – of meetings activities
- Track and document work, collect data, and identify trends emerging from the program, and prepare reports and update team trackers as required. Support the Program and Community Manager in developing communications of those trends and data to the larger community.
Organizers and Speakers Management:
- Support the team in triaging concerns and requests by session organizers and by coordinating with the RightsCon team on tone and narrative, or by escalating questions and potential partnerships as necessary
- Provide conference participants assistance with general questions about the program, and support personalized participant journeys
- Work with RightsCon leads to support general production needs that have a direct impact on program
- Act as the primary manager for conference group inbox, escalating issues to and consulting team members when necessary
- Support the execution of RightsCon communications and community engagement strategies with regard to specific sessions and forums
- Provide content and data for communications about sessions, program and participant journey
You Should Have
- One to two years of relevant conference and/or event experience
- Demonstrable knowledge of relevant international human rights and technology policy issues
- Excellent spoken, expository, and persuasive writing and editing skills in English
- High comfort level working with spreadsheets
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to get on with a wide range of people from around the world
- Deep respect for cultural, linguistic, identity, gender and regional differences across diverse and differing cultures and political systems
- A university/college degree (or equivalent practical experience) related to human rights, policy, business development, journalism, or another relevant field
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically
- Fluency in a language other than English a plus, preferably Arabic, French or Spanish
Helpful to Have
- Experience leveraging social media to amplify an event / demonstrably reach a specific audience
Time Commitment and Location
This is a full-time position, based ideally in Washington, DC, New York, or San José, Costa Rica/Latin America.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter
When emailing your application, please include “RC Program Associate – [Your Name]” as your subject line.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.