About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organisation dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Position
We are looking for a motivated, talented, and passionate junior designer to join our Advocacy team to work on branding, visual design, and digital media engagement. This role will work under the guidance of Access Now’s Design and UX Lead and work closely with other members of the Advocacy team and contribute to the strategic and creative process for Access Now campaigns, initiatives, events, and publications by creating and developing innovative, interactive designs that will help advance our campaigns on important global challenges to digital rights, including encryption, Net Neutrality, privacy, free expression online, and more.
- Respond to daily time sensitive requests for graphic design and visual elements from the team;
- Support and develop long-term design and branding projects, such as materials for upcoming events;
- Assist with web development needs, such as laying out web pages & campaign site to be designed swiftly;
- Support and develop design directions with senior staff and execute on the vision of the Design and UX Lead;
- Propose creative solutions to online engagement for our campaigns and communications;
- Work within the Digital Engagement Squad and the rest of the Advocacy team to deliver finely designed, compelling content and products, especially in the form of social media hooks, visually intriguing mailers, easy-to-digest infographics, elegant reports, digital and physical posters and flyers, and more;
- Create graphics, icons, visual elements, typography, and interface design for websites;
- Take feedback from the strategy development team and deliver refinements in a timely manner;
- Build various web properties, from pages to advocacy platforms;
- Learn to tackle challenges swiftly and effectively in the fast-changing phases of the projects
You are an activist by heart. You love solving problems to protect digital rights of users at risk with your creative superpower. You are a native netizen and versed in design and digital skills. You are culturally sensitive and have the ability to communicate with a wide range of people from around the world as well as demonstrate knowledge and respect of relevant international human rights and technology issues.
Specifically, you are:
- Energetic and mission-driven;
- Punctuate in delivering designs and products;
- Versed in agile design process and creative industry;
- Exceptional in graphic design and digital content creation, and have some motion graphic experience;
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite applications, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and After Effects;
- Very experienced in crafting presentation materials with Google Docs and Office;
- Competent in working with WordPress;
- Knowledgeable of HTML, CSS, and front-end best practices;
- Open-minded and flexible to work in a fast-paced, global, diverse, and inclusive environment;
- Easy-going and a good team player.
Location: New York City. Other locations will be considered for the right candidate.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits.
To apply, send an email to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- Website or PDF portfolio
- Contact details for two references
Please remember to reference your email application with the subject line: “Junior Designer – [Your Name]”
Women and LGBTQI individuals encouraged to apply.
If you would like to submit your application encrypted please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org / PGP Key: 0x1F2EC60E.
Published: March 28th 2018. We will begin reaching out to successful applicants a few weeks after this date. Start date will likely be June / July 2018.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.