About Access Now
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Technology, and Grantmaking teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the role
Due to the nature of Access Now’s work, the organization faces significant threats across regions and sectors. Staff are increasingly at-risk due to the nature of our work and the increasingly high-profile of the organization. Security risks take a number of forms across the organization, each requiring unique attention and resources.
Access Now seeks a Chief Security Officer to develop and oversee policies, programs, and strategies to mitigate and reduce digital, physical and operational security risks for the organization and its staff.
As a Chief Security Officer, you will work with Access Now’s Executive Director and senior staff to identify threats and vulnerabilities across regions and programs. You will prioritize and coordinate the implementation of security controls to avoid, detect, and minimize security risks. You will help ensure we maintain an organizational culture based on security.
This position will be part of the Tech management team, report to the Access Now Executive Director, and will interface directly with organization’s other arms – Advocacy, Grants, Policy, Operations and RightsCon.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
As the Access Now Chief Security Officer, you will:
- Routinely assess and evaluate the digital, physical and operational security risks and threats for the organization and its staff;
- Prioritize and lead the implementation of security controls to avoid, detect, and minimize security risks across the organization and programs;
- Organize, maintain, and monitor the implementation of existing security policies. Develop, implement, and enforce new security policies where needed;
- Promote a risk-aware culture across the organization by conducting information security trainings and awareness-raising activities with staff;
- Respond to and investigate security incidents by following emergency response plans and coordinating with the relevant teams in the organization; and
- Manage a small team of technologists and coordinate staff across teams to design and implement security policies and strategies.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- Significant experience in risk assessment, operational security planning, information security policies, and security auditing frameworks;
- Strong understanding of attack vectors and threat strategies for a global human rights organization;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and listening skills. Fluency in English is required;
- Experience managing and owning projects, and ability to prioritise demands;
- Experience preparing and facilitating holistic security advice and trainings to non-technical users;
- Experience in incident response, including direct ownership and command of incidents is preferred;
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to get along with a wide range of people from around the world;
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically.
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply. We are keen to receive applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the digital rights and technology communities — even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
This is a full time position and we are accepting applications from anywhere in the world, with a preference to locations with existing Access Now offices.
Time Commitment & Salary
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
We offer benefits to help our employees embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. This can include technical training, language training, travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise!
Please send an email to email@example.com (or firstname.lastname@example.org, PGP Key: 0x1F2EC60E) with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- The names and contact details of two references (only one may be academic)
Please remember to reference your email application with the subject line: “Chief Security Officer – [Your Name]” as the subject line.
Published 20 September 2018, rolling until filled.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Ben Whelan, Global Risk and Operations Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x1F2EC60E, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.