Careers at Access Now
Learn more about the experience of being an Access Now team member and opportunities to join us below. We look forward to meeting you!
Since 2009, our team has grown to become a global community of 100+ passionate activists, technologists, policymakers, community conveners, grantmakers, and really awesome people.
We are a highly focused, mission-driven organization whose team members are each deeply invested in defending and extending human rights in the digital age for those most at risk. In pursuing that work, we prioritize ensuring our team members’ and our communities’ safety, strength, and sustainability. We are guided by organizational principles that reflect and codify the values that unite our global team of professionals.
Despite our team being located all over the world, Access Now is close-knit, collaborative, and committed to fostering community at all levels. We blend the savvy and sophistication of an established human rights organization with the spunk and simplicity of a start-up.
Among this hardworking and high-impact team, you’ll also find a healthy dose of silliness in our offices — and now, at our remote-work desks and dining room tables. Oh, and we are dog (and cat, and bird, and…) people: look no further than our dedicated Slack page dedicated to our pets around the world.
Read on to find out more about the many ways we support and empower our people, and about how you can take your next career step with Access Now.
Resources for wellness and growth
We have designed — and continue to refine and improve — people strategies that allow everyone to bring their best talents and selves. That includes:
- ➔ Competitive compensation for our talented professionals
- ➔ Paid sick days for when illness strikes
- ➔ Healthcare insurance benefits (varies by region)
- ➔ Professional mental health wellness support and mindfulness tools
- ➔ A culture of organizational improvement
- ➔ Worker compensation insurance (varies by region)
- ➔ Optional retirement savings plan (varies by region)
- ➔ 36 days of paid time off per year across vacation, personal days, and public holidays
- ➔ Plus a paid, org-wide closure at year-end
- ➔ Paid Refresher Leave of 20 days after 4 years of service, repeating every 2 years thereafter
- ➔ Paid Caregiver Leave of 80 days for new parents
- ➔ Paid and Unpaid Family and Medical Leave (varies by region)
- ➔ Flexible scheduling and work-from-home opportunities
- ➔ Ad hoc rest days to recharge after a big project
- ➔ Culture of career growth conversations around performance management
- ➔ Dedicated resources for learning and professional development
- ➔ Commitment to internal team promotional growth
- ➔ Investment in cultivating emerging talent
- ➔ Opportunities to travel around the world for meetings, events, and our annual Team Retreat
- ➔ Engagement, learning, and networking with an amazing team
WHO WE LOOK FOR
As a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, we seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
We look for passionate, committed professional leaders with expertise in their own subject-matter areas. Committed to professional development, we expect team members to grow into and expand with their role, often making it their own. We encourage applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in our respective human rights spaces, including women, members of marginalized communities, and LGBTQ+ individuals.
Registered in Belgium, Costa Rica, Germany, Tunisia, and the United States, we engage team members — including both full-time and part-time employees, contractors, fellows, and interns — who make up our global presence across Argentina, Australia, Canada, Colombia, Germany, Ghana, India, Kenya, Peru, the Philippines, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and beyond.
Typically, we can only consider applicants who are already legally able to work in the country in which the role is based. Visa sponsorship or relocation allowance are rare, and offered only for specialized positions.
HOW TO APPLY
If you see an opening that fits your passions and experience, please share with us a strong application, including your resume or CV, and a customized cover letter that tells us why the role is such a great fit. We want to learn how your skills align, and what it is about Access Now that feels like a good match.
We use BambooHR technology to receive and help sort applications, and upon acceptance of your submission, you will receive a confirmation note from us. In advance, we highly recommend that you add the [email protected] email address to your contacts list so that you do not miss emails and status updates from us. If you don’t see that initial confirmation, check your spam or junk folder.
Our small yet mighty human resources team reviews each and every submission. If we see a strong match, we will reach out to initiate a conversation. If your submission is not identified for advancement in the selected recruitment process, we will also communicate that to you.
OUR SELECTION PROCESS
While the exact interview and selection process is customized to meet the needs of each specific role, a typical hiring experience will include a combination of opportunities to connect with our team, demonstrate your skills, and learn about who you would work with and expectations for the role.
- Step 1. A member of our human resources team will schedule a short video call with you to align on the role, your experiences, compensation expectations, and the process ahead.
- Step 2. A panel or hiring manager will meet with you to discuss in-depth your capabilities, preparation, and alignment to our vision and mission.
- Step 3. A second panel or hiring team member will meet with you to further explore your skills, working style, and approach to the challenges of the role.
- Step 4. We will invite you to complete an exercise to further demonstrate your analytical and problem-solving skills that relate to the role.