About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organisation dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The IT and Digital Security Support Team Member is the first point of contact for Team Members, and is responsible for meeting their day-to-day technical operations and digital security needs. Given the nature of Access Now’s work, the Organization faces significant and potential risks, and this role is central to our efforts to build a culture of security.
Functions include troubleshooting, hands-on IT assistance, support and problem solving, and supporting staff onboarding and setup. The IT Support Team Member assists in planning, and delivers capacity building for staff with varied levels of technical expertise located across multiple time zones.
This position is housed within the Security Operations team and reports through the Chief Security Officer, and liaises closely with members of the Operations and Helpline teams in fulfilling duties.
What You Will Do
- Support the technical and digital security needs of our global team and offices, focusing on the support of desktops/laptops and office infrastructure/connectivity
- Support user administration, technical onboarding, and capacity building of Team Members
- Contribute to the development of internal security policies, procedures, and controls
- Support efforts to analyze digital security threats
- Coordinate with our global team to interact with local technology vendors across the organization’s global locations where appropriate
- Work closely with colleagues in the Security Operations team, from supporting staff travel with the Global Risk & Operations Manager, to infrastructure and digital security challenges with the Systems Administrators
As our IT and Digital Security Support Team Member you are dedicated to our mission, have demonstrated technical experience, and possess unshakable integrity.
You will be comfortable explaining technical solutions in simple terms and troubleshooting issues, and will draw strength from supporting colleagues and promoting good digital practices across a diverse organization. Specifically, you will have:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, especially with diverse remote users
- Previous work experience in a similar or related help desk or similar role supporting the IT needs of a global organization
- Strong ability to plan and follow through with projects in an organized and efficient manner
- Ability to write good end-user documentation/procedures
- Experience supporting desktop environments running OSX, Windows and Linux
- Good working knowledge of encryption technologies (i.e. GPG, SSL)
- Experience with network troubleshooting and office LAN set-up
- Experience with ticketing administration
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Working knowledge of G-Suite products
- Experience in operational security planning and information security policies
- GIT, SSH, and markdown knowledge
This is a full-time position. While preference is for applications that align to our presences in Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Tunis, or Washington, DC, we will consider applications from other regions that align to our Team Members, especially as they align to time zones across UTC +5 to UTC – 7. The successful candidate must be eligible to engage in work at the location in which they will be based. We will be unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Team members from all regions also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through our careers website (BambooHR):
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our careers website (BambooHR); email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.