Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Helpline, RightsCon, Grants, and Operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The Grants Finance Manager plays a key role with the finance and development teams of our growing, global organization. The ideal candidate has financial management experience with grants for nonprofits (preferably international nonprofits), and is responsible for collaborating across the organization to ensure smooth and timely grant processing, accurate spending against grants budgets, and compliance with funder requirements and applicable laws. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, adept at managing competing priorities and deadlines, and will have demonstrated success in coordinating across teams.
The Grants Finance Manager reports through the Director of Finance and works closely with the Development Director and the Financial Controller, and with Access Now’s Development and Finances teams more broadly.
What You Will Do
As the Grants and Finance Manager you will be responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the organization’s financial management of its grants, donations, and fundraising efforts in a dynamic, collaborative, and mission-based environment.
Budget Preparation and Adjustments
- Develop and review budgets for grant proposals aligned with organizational priorities (and available expense categories) whilst being responsive to funder interests in close coordination with the Development Director and team
- Support Development Director in responding to and managing follow-up financial requests from funders
- Work closely with Financial Controller to track adjustments and projections
- Support creation of the organizational budget, primarily from a ‘budget by funder’ and an unrestricted vs. restricted perspective
Financial Grant Analysis and Compliance
- Coordinate all financial reporting aspects of Access Now’s grants by working closely with accountants to allocate expenses to specific funders according to budget and need
- Provide timely and accurate financial reports for donors to Director of Finance and Development Director to meet rolling deadlines across all funding relationships
- Review time allocation to grants to ensure that allocations meet funding requirements, and that grant funds are being spent down appropriately
- Support Director of Finance on audits and agreed-upon-procedures as needed, providing documentation and drafting responses to audit questions
- Review all incoming grant agreements for their financial requirements to provide advice on their application, feasibility, and practical implementation
- Ensure that directors and managerial staff understand and comply with funders’ terms and conditions as set out in grant agreements
- Maintain documentation of financial documents for funding agreements and strong internal processes which intersect with Development team
- Analyze and report on general ledger account activity for variances from budget
- Prepare a periodic and annual restricted revenue release schedule
- Support decision-making on grant expenses in coordination with the Development Director and team, interpreting whether the expense is appropriate and allowable within the grant framework, budget, goals, and general conditions
- Work closely with our EU counterparts to align and ensure financial reporting and compliance obligations as they relate to grant revenue and expenses
- Keep abreast of accounting pronouncements and industry best practices with respect to revenue recognition and grant financial reporting for not-for-profits
- Pursue additional training in grant management requirements/regulations, as needed
- Perform administrative tasks (information management, maintenance of financial aspects of grant files, document destruction, etc.) as needed
- Other financial projects/tasks as assigned
As a top candidate you will bring:
- Depth of understanding of GAAP principles as they relate to grant-making and revenue recognition, as well as typical not-for-profit policies, procedures, and best practices
- Familiarity with grants from a diverse range of sources in a not-for-profit global context
- Advanced Excel skills, including creation and use of complex pivot tables, lookup functions, and other features for formatting, manipulating, and analyzing data
- Non profit accounting experience, including basic accounting concepts, TRNA (Temporary Restricted Net Assets)/funding with restrictrictions, deferred revenue, balance sheet items, projection, fund budget building
- Ability to set and manage priorities, and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and multi‐task
- Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced team
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills
- A detail-oriented approach, possessing keen analytical skills organization
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, through a combination of education, training, and/or experience, plus four years of related experience
Preferred Skills, Experience
We know that it will be helpful if you have:
- Multi-year foreign government grant financial management and reporting experiences
- Revenue recognition per GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles)
- Familiarity with FundEZ and Salesforce
This is a full-time position, and can be located in either our New York City or our Washington, DC office. The successful candidate must have the right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We will be unable to sponsor visas or relocation packages for this role.
Starting salary range is from $70,000-$80,000 annually, depending on the candidate’s relevant experiences.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities, including health/dental/vision benefits and access to a 401k financial savings program. Team members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please apply at our Careers Website by submitting your:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our careers website (Careers Website); email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at brya[email protected]; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or reply to the original sender where applicable.