About the Role:
Our development arm is seeking a full-time Grant Writer to support the organization’s growing portfolio of funding relationships. This role will report to our Operations and Development Manager, and will work closely with senior leaders and other development team members.
This position presents the right candidate the unique opportunity to be an important part of a rapidly growing human rights organization, and contribute to the critical task strengthening organizational sustainability. As a growing organization and a growing team, there is opportunity for career advancement and the evolution of the role.
We are an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world – including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, grantmaking, and legal teams have presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), Sub-Saharan Africa, North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
What You Will Do:
You will be contributing significantly to the writing and editing of compelling grant proposals to foundations, governments, and other stakeholders who might support our work. You’ll work with a diverse team with ample opportunity to assist in transforming program or research ideas into organized and persuasive proposals. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Perform prospect research to identify new prospective funders
- Prepare and submit online funding inquiries and concept notes
- Track and monitor major grant deadlines – from submission to final decision to closeout
- Support the administration of grant agreements, including filing
- Prepare and submit narrative reports as required by grant agreements
- Write progress reports and prepare presentations to communicate the major accomplishments of Access Now’s programs and initiatives.
- Coordinate with finance and accounting leads on financial components as needed
- Coordinate with programmatic staff on grant-related developments as needed, including the tracking of outcomes for reporting purposes through the year
- Work with others to prepare key fundraising and donor cultivation materials (including an Annual Report, funder briefing documents, and more)
- Maintain a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s major funders.
You Should Have:
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Capability of collecting, synthesizing, and recycling large amounts of writing
- Attention to detail and ability to track and meet deadlines
- Strong capacity to contribute in team environments
- Experience with proposal-writing – and institutional donors preferred
The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer and researcher who is passionate about human rights and excited to support a mission-driven organization by helping to secure core and project-based funding from foundations, governments, and other funders.
This is a full time position based in New York, NY.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary ($50k – $60k) commensurate with experience.
We offer benefits to help our employees grow, embrace new challenges, and advance their careers, including comprehensive health benefits, generous vacation and holiday leave, access to matched 401k savings, opportunities for travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise.
Send an email “Grant Writer – [Your Name]” in the subject line to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your interest in this specific role
- Two references
Optional, and preferred
- A writing sample that strongly represents your writing to aide in identifying and advancing strong candidates for the position
Deadline: 30 September 2019
Access Now believes a diverse, inclusive team makes us a stronger organization and better partner. We’re committed to being an equal opportunity employer, and the hiring persons of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientation or gender identities, marital status, religions, and disabilities. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.