About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, legal, grants, RightsCon, and operations teams are present in Africa, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The European Finance & Operations Coordinator will coordinate financial and administrative processes for our operations in Europe. The work will be applied to our office and registration in Brussels and Berlin, as well as the geographic positioning of other team members based in the region (UK and Italy). The finance responsibilities of this role primarily relate to our Brussels operations, and therefore the Belgian accounting standards.
The combination of the finance and administrative responsibilities complement each other, lending a varied nature to the day-to-day work, whilst also creating scope for ownership and autonomy.
This is a full-time role based in Brussels. The individual will work closely with team members based in the European region and with the global Operations team (located mainly in the US), reporting directly to the European Operations Manager (based in Brussels).
You are excited by Access Now’s mission and eager to work for a human rights organisation. You are an enthusiastic, detail-oriented and organised individual with a strong team spirit, who can work efficiently and effectively in a global, fast paced, multicultural organisation. You are great at problem-solving and bringing solutions, creativity and positivity to your work. You have experience in finances (in particular bookkeeping and financial reporting) and general administration (including office management).
What you will do
- Coordinate payment of payroll and other personnel related expenditure; invoices of vendors, contractors, authorities etc.
- Review expense reimbursements; credit card reconciliations and other financial requests/reporting submitted by team members
- Provide bookkeeping support (reconciling expenses; collecting documentation; coding to relevant expense accounts and internally defined cost centers)
- Maintain time allocation forms, various financial trackers and financial processes in the Google Suite
- Support audit processes
- Support budgeting processes and reporting on actuals
- Support financial reporting (for internal and external purposes), including grant allocations
- Liaise with external Belgian accountant (who maintain our formal books per Belgian requirements) and finance colleagues in other regions
- Administration and office management:
- Maintain (co-working) office spaces in Brussels and Berlin and related lease contracts
- Maintain office supplies in offices and equipment
- Maintain contracts and relationships with insurance and service providers
- Maintain memberships, licenses, subscriptions
- Maintain asset register and depreciation tracker
- Travel support:
- Support travel booking for European team members or group travel to Europe
- Support visa requests of team members
- Calculate per diems as relevant
As a top candidate, you should have
- Proven experience in financial management of budget and actuals, and financial analysis and reporting
- At least 2 years of experience in bookkeeping support and knowledge of Belgian accounting standards
- At least 1 year of experience in office management and relevant administrative work
- Fluency in English and strong command of French
- Experience in meeting and prioritizing multiple deadlines in a fast-paced and constantly developing environment
- Strong organizational skills and acute attention to detail
- Respect for and desire to work with a dynamic, international team of diverse and wonderful people.
We know that the following will be quite helpful
- Good knowledge of German
- Education in finance/accounting
Access Now offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that aligns with the local context in Belgium (including 13th month; meal vouchers; full annual public transport subscription).
Team members from all regions also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Work-life balance (including a generous paid time-off program)
- Flexibility in the workplace
- Interaction with a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunity to recharge (including refresher leave after 4 years)
At Access Now’s office in the center of Brussels, Belgium, with excellent public transport links.
Please send an email with the subject line “European Finance & Operations Coordinator – [Your Name]” to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and salary expectations
- The names and contact details of two references (only one may be academic)
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2020
Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply for this important role.
As an international human rights organization committed to inclusion, Access Now is an equal opportunity employer/contractor. We value and encourage diversity, and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org; PGP Key: 0x676DA406.