Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. By combining direct technical support, comprehensive policy engagement, global advocacy, grassroots grantmaking, and convenings such as RightsCon, we fight for human rights in the digital age. The Access Now Digital Security Helpline is a globally distributed team which provides 24/7 incident response, digital security advice, and implementation support for civil society around the world. It offers real-time, direct technical assistance and advice to civil society groups & activists, media organizations, journalists & bloggers, and human rights defenders.
About the Role
As Digital Safety Specialist you will be part of a global team responsible for providing digital safety advice and support for civil society groups at-risk around the world, both in-person and remotely. You will assist at-risk users in responding to incidents via various communications methods such as email, chat and video. Occasionally, you will also provide in-person support through workshops, training, and audits. This role reports through the Tunis Shift manager, and through Access Now’s senior Helpline managers as appropriate.
This role is perfect for a quick learner who is excited by Access Now’s mission and is eager to provide amazing advice and service to human rights defenders in the Middle East/North Africa Region, and around the world! We’re looking for an individual who is well organized, has sensitive communication skills and unshakable integrity and personal ethics.
Skills and Mindset you Bring
- Prior experience working with, or interest in supporting women and/or queer communities, civil society, and human rights defender organizations in the region
- Fluency (strong written and verbal communications) in English, Arabic and French is essential; applicants who can speak and write in an additional language are at an advantage
- Strong cultural understanding and experience across the region
- Experience working in incident response or customer support escalation teams
- Interest in training and user education
- Ability to work on a flexible, shift schedule
- Willingness to travel on occasion
- Technical skills, including troubleshooting & familiarity with Android, iOS, Microsoft Windows, MacOS, and Linux-based operating systems is a strong advantage
- Technical understanding of the internet, and the digital threats faced by victims of human rights abuse and human rights activists and defenders is an advantage
- Familiarity with anonymity and circumvention tools, security technologies, risk assessment frameworks is an advantage
- Combined level of education and professional experience that shows your capability to contribute meaningfully to the Access Now Digital Security Helpline
Helpful Skills and Experiences
- Relevant academic degrees (Master degree, Engineering degree)
- Security certifications (CEH and similar)
Location and Time Commitment
This is a full-time position, based in Tunis, Tunisia. Expected working hours will generally be from 9 a.m. UTC +1 to 5 p.m. UTC +1, with occasional meetings out of business hours.
Access Now offers competitive salary – commensurate with experience – and benefits packages that align with our office localities. For this role, initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated at د.ت 5,300 TND Gross monthly
We offer benefits to help our employees embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. Those include travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise! Additional benefits available for our Tunisian employees include:
- up to 40 days of paid leave per year (holidays, vacations, personal days, end-of-year closure)
- Health and dental insurance
- Access to complementary retirement programme
- 13th month Salary
- Occasional work from home arrangements possible
- Refresher leave after 4 years of continuous employment
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through our Career Openings page:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, photo and address)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your interest in the Helpline
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter, separate from your CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We do not expect applicants to have every qualification described above. We expect this team member to grow into their role, and to make it their own. Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the security and/or technology communities — even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.