Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. By combining direct technical support, comprehensive policy engagement, global advocacy, grassroots grantmaking, and convenings such as RightsCon, we fight for human rights in the digital age.
The Access Now Digital Security Helpline is a globally distributed team which provides 24/7 incident response, digital security advice, and implementation support for civil society around the world. It offers real-time, direct technical assistance and advice to civil society groups & activists, media organizations, journalists & bloggers, and human rights defenders.
About the Role
As Digital Safety Specialist you will be part of a global team responsible for providing digital safety advice and support for civil society groups at-risk around the world, both in-person and remotely. You will assist at-risk users in responding to incidents via various communications methods such as email, chat and video. Occasionally, you will also provide in-person support through workshops, trainings, and audits. This role reports to the Tunis Shift Lead, and Access Now’s senior Helpline managers as appropriate.
This role is an entry level position, perfect for a quick learner who is excited by Access Now’s mission and is eager to provide amazing advice and service to human rights defenders in the Middle East/North Africa Region, and around the world! We’re looking for an individual who is well organized, has sensitive communication skills and unshakable integrity and personal ethics.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Prior experience working with, or interest in supporting women and/or queer communities, civil society, and Human Rights defender organizations in the region
- Fluency (strong written and verbal communications) in English and Arabic is essential; applicants who can speak and write in an additional language are at an advantage
- Strong cultural understanding and experience across the region
- Experience working in incident response or customer support escalation teams;
- Interest in training and user education
- Ability to work on a flexible, shift schedule
- Willingness to travel on occasion
- Technical skills, including troubleshooting & familiarity with Android, iOS, Microsoft Windows, MacOS, and Linux-based operating systems is a strong advantage
- Technical understanding of the internet, and the digital threats faced by victims of human rights abuse and human rights activists and defenders is an advantage
- Familiarity with anonymity and circumvention tools, security technologies, risk assessment frameworks is an advantage
We do not expect applicants to have every qualification described above. We expect this team member to grow into their role, and to make it their own. Women and LGBTQI individuals are encouraged to apply. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the security and/or technology communities — even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
A level of education that when combined with your professional experience will show you have the capability to contribute meaningfully to the Access Now Digital Security Helpline and the users we support. Candidates who have relevant academic degrees (Master degree, Engineering degree) or security certifications (CEH and similar) are encouraged to apply, and this is a plus — not a requirement.
This is a full-time position, based in Tunis, Tunisia. Expected working hours will generally be from 9 a.m. UTC +1 to 5 p.m. UTC +1, with occasional meetings out of business hours.
Salary starting from – 3,600 TND Gross monthly
We offer benefits to help our employees embrace new challenges and allow them to advance their career. Those include travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise! Additional benefits available for our Tunisian employees include:
- 40 days of paid leave per year (holidays, vacations, personal days, end-of-year closure)
- Health and dental insurance
- Access to complementary retirement programme
- 13th month Salary
- Occasional work from home arrangements possible
- Refresher leave after 4 years of continuous employment
Send an email with the subject line “Digital Safety Specialist – Tunis – [Your Name]” to email@example.com with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability and vision for the role
Published January 24; open until filled or closed
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.