About Access Now and the Role
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world. By combining direct technical support, comprehensive policy engagement, global advocacy, grassroots grantmaking, legal interventions and convenings such as RightsCon, we fight for human rights in the digital age.
As Digital Engagement Coordinator you will be at the heart of the Access Now Advocacy team, responsible for leveraging our full range of digital tools to drive action, apply pressure to campaign targets, and deliver resources to the individuals who need them.
Access Now is looking for a highly motivated, proactive individual. The ideal candidate will have a passion for, and track record of success in, connecting with online communities and developing high-impact digital content. You should be a creative and empathetic communicator, as well as a thoughtful, goal-oriented planner who doesn’t mind crunching a few numbers to track outcomes. Most importantly, you will have a finely tuned attention to detail, a commitment to excellence, a strong sense of humor and team spirit, the ability to own and independently manage multiple projects at once, and an appetite to continuously learn new tools and tactics. You will be ready to be a thought partner to your teammates in identifying opportunities for impact, and to keep Access Now’s mission at the forefront of day-to-day work.
What You Will Do
- Work with the Advocacy team on key campaigns, identifying opportunities for impact through digital platforms
- Provide insight on impact through analytics reports integrating social media, websites, email lists, and any other publication outlets
- Work with our design team to create multimedia content adapted to various platforms
- Offer constructive, community-building, and tactful interactions with audiences across channels
- Ensure that messaging is streamlined, and that outreach promotes Access Now’s goals and strategic vision
- Run Access Now social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn)
- Create a social media calendar and maintaining a regular publishing schedule that reflects and leverages both Access Now’s work, and the global human rights agenda
- Support staff on best practices for social media
- Monitor and nurture the health of all Access Now email lists
- Manage an engagement calendar for action alerts, consistently providing subscribers timely and meaningful opportunities to take action
- Contribute strategic and technical support on the development and delivery of the Access Now Express weekly newsletter
- Maintain and oversee the constituent database, coordinating with relevant team members to safeguard privacy and data security
- Lead on deployment of Access Now campaign pages using existing tools and templates
- Work with designers and developers to strategically expand the advocacy toolkit
- Maintain, monitor, and maximize the impact of Access Now’s Google AdWords
You should have
- Passion for the mission, with understanding of the unique challenges at-risk and marginalized communities are confronting, as well as familiarity with (or a demonstrated willingness to learn about) developments in technology and its impact on human rights
- Two or more years of experience using social media to drive social change, build connection to a brand, support a media outlet, or reach new communities
- Knowledge of platform-native analytics tools, and the ability to translate analytics to meaningful learnings to adapt strategies and deepen impact
- Native-level fluency in English, with meticulous attention to grammar and style, and the ability to edit your own work
- Strong persuasive writing skills and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
- Strong internal and external communication skills, paired with cultural sensitivity
- Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
It’s very helpful if you have
- Past experience with WordPress or a similar content management system (CMS)
- Past experience with Matomo or other website analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of building data visualizations with web tools, such as Google Data Studio or Infogram
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Past experience with a CRM system or management of a contact database
- High-level proficiency and ability to write persuasive, compelling content in a second language, particularly Arabic
Time Commitment and Location
This is a full-time position, and can be performed through any of our registered locations in Washington, D.C., New York, San José (Costa Rica), Brussels, Berlin, or Tunis. We are accepting applications from individuals with work authorization in the corresponding location.
Access Now offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that aligns with the communities and cultures in which it operates. While specific benefits can vary, all team members benefit from a strong culture aligned around flexibility in the workplace, professional development opportunities, and work-life balance — including a generous paid time off program and opportunities for extended “refresher” leave.
Send an email with the subject line “Digital Engagement Coordinator – [Your Name]” to [email protected] with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and interest in working for Access Now
- Names and contact details of two references
Published: May 11, 2020
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at [email protected]; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.