About the Position
Access Now is looking for a highly motivated individual with a passion for all things digital to join the team as a digital content & social media manager. The ideal candidate will be a digital native fluent on multiple social media platforms with understanding of internet cultures across regions. You should be an excellent writer with impeccable editorial judgment who produces precise yet powerful, persuasive, action-driving content. You should also be a self-starter and have first-hand experience and measurable success increasing an organization’s impact through social media. This role is 70% execution / 30% strategy, and is suited for people who want to take the next step beyond entry-level social media jobs.
About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, working on issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, RightsCon, grants, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with the Advocacy team on key campaigns, and identifying opportunities for impact through digital platforms
- Working with the design team to create multimedia content adapted to various platforms
- Running Access Now social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn)
- Creating a social media calendar and maintaining a regular publishing schedule
- Providing insight on impact through analytics reports integrating social media, websites, email lists, and any other publication outlets
- Maintaining, monitoring, and maximizing the impact of Access Now’s Google AdWords
- Assisting with the publication of the Access Now Express weekly newsletter
- Monitoring and recording press hits, supporting the maintenance of Access Now’s press list, and leveraging social media to strengthen the organization’s media outreach efforts
- Offering constructive, community-building, and tactful interaction with users/followers
- Supporting staff on best practices for social media
You should have:
- Two years of experience running social media for a brand or news organization
- Ability to distill complex issues into strong, simplified messages
- Knowledge of Facebook Insights, and other analytics tools
- Experience using TweetDeck, SocialFlow, or other social publishing tools
- Fluency in English
- Passion for the mission, with understanding of developments in technology, its impact on human rights, and the unique challenges faced by at-risk and marginalized communities
- Excitement around learning and and application, showing great flexibility in your work
- Strong communication skills – paired with cultural sensitivity – toward successfully supporting a diverse, global team
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and to effectively balance competing priorities
It’s very helpful if you have:
- Strong copywriting skills
- Past experience with WordPress or a similar content management system (CMS)
- Past experience with Piwik or other website analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Past experience with a CRM system or management of a contact database
- Working knowledge of a second language highly desired, including but not limited to Spanish, French, or Arabic
Time Commitment and Location:
This is a full-time position. We are accepting applications from anywhere in the world, with a preference to locations with existing Access Now offices, which include Brussels, Tunis, San José, Costa Rica, and New York.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and interest in working for Access Now
- Names and contact details of two references
Please reference your email application with the subject line: “Digital Engagement Coordinator – [Your Name]”
Published: December 10, 2018
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources and Recruiting Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.