Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, legal, grants, RightsCon, and operations teams are present in Africa, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The Communications and Media Manager works within Access Now’s Advocacy team, and across all Access Now teams. The manager creates media communications plans, responds to media inquiries, reaches out to journalists, and brainstorms and develops appropriate messaging for multiple platforms. This position is instrumental to Access Now’s campaigning and policy work, and to the org’s Digital Security Helpline, to community granting activities, and to the RightsCon convenings series. The Communications and Media Manager reports to the Advocacy Director.
You feel a strong commitment and alignment to the mission and goals of Access Now, understand the key issues and challenges facing human rights in the digital age, and have the ability to drive processes and timelines to meet deadlines in a competitive news environment.
What You Will Do
- Contribute key insights on media strategy across issues and platforms. You will develop and implement communications strategies to support our campaigns, meet our advocacy goals, and raise the profile of the organization. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with the Digital Engagement Coordinator on social media strategy, and with the RightsCon Communications Coordinator on media outreach and engagement.
- Manage media requests and check incoming media inquiries. Pass on media inquiries to relevant staff members and arrange for spokespeople to speak to the media.
- Impact media engagement and support global team members by developing talking points on specific issues and campaigns. Provide training and interview prep to Access Now staff on key issue areas to confidently represent Access Now. Review, advise, and sign off quotes to media.
- Lead on content generation targeting media outlets. Pitch stories to news outlets on Access Now’s work, RightsCon, and if relevant, the work of our grantees. Write, edit, and issue press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other communications materials. Serve as lead rapid-responder on breaking news and media opportunities.
- Maintain and grow media relationships, including monitoring and keeping up-to-date press lists and media alert email lists. Develop targeted media lists on relevant topics, tailored to the geographic areas in which we operate. Nurture new relationships with journalists, and work with Access Now teams to develop individual media relationships into organizational ones. Track media mentions of Access Now, and compile and submit monthly internal media reports.
As a Top Candidate, You Should Have
- Outstanding written and spoken English
- Fluency in at least one other language, preferably, French, Arabic, or Spanish
- Excellent expository and persuasive writing and editing skills
- Acute attention to detail
- Proven experience and strong track record in journalism, media studies, communications, or public relations
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to write and deliver strong pitches to the media
- Ability to meet and prioritize multiple deadlines and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Experience working with others on complex projects across cultures, perspectives, and time zones
We know that the following will be quite helpful:
- Understanding of digital organizing and fundraising tools, including email lists, CMS & CRM systems, social media, and data analytics
- Understanding of the intersection of human rights and technology – and interest in learning more about the issues covered by Access Now and RightsCon
- Experience using Engaging Networks or other email marketing tools and softwares
Remuneration and Location
Access Now offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that aligns with the communities and cultures in which it operates. While specific benefits can vary, all team members benefit from a strong culture aligned around:
- Professional development
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Flexibility in the workplace
- Interaction with a diverse, global team…often through travel
- Engagement with passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunity to recharge and grow…through refresher leave after 4 years
While location preference is for Brussels, this full-time position can also be based in one of Access Now’s other registered locations in Berlin, New York City, San José (CR), Tunis, or Washington, D.C.
Please send an email with the subject line “Comms and Media Manager – [Your Name]” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- Two professional references
As an international human rights organization committed to inclusion, Access Now is an equal opportunity employer/contractor. We value and encourage diversity, and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x676DA406.