About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, working on issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, grants, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe; Latin America; North, East, and West Africa; North America; and South and Southeast Asia to provide global support to our mission.
About the role
As a campaigner, your primary responsibility will be to passionately defend human rights in our increasingly digital world. You will have the opportunity to take Access Now’s campaigns to a new level of size and impact in the Latin America and Caribbean region, and beyond.
You’re an advocate and movement builder, and you’re able to lead and grow campaigns to ensure maximum impact. You have an instinctive knack for identifying and developing the strategies and partnerships needed to protect the internet and those who use it, and the global experience and outlook to do it right. You are also a creative and empathetic communicator who knows how to speak directly to and with the people whose rights are most at risk. You’re self-motivated, deeply invested in Access Now’s mission, and excited about collaborating with a diverse global team.
What you will do
- Identify opportunities for impact and develop campaign strategies to capture them, managing and coordinating actions on human rights concerns for individuals and communities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Work across the organization to build and run campaigns in a sustainable and scalable manner for maximum impact.
- Produce engaging and dynamic content for a range of audiences, including articles, op-eds, speeches, campaign materials, press releases, blog posts, social media, and multimedia content.
- Collaborate with other team members and partner organizations to keep track of digital rights developments in the region as they unfold and prepare our timely response, liaising with our other relevant Policy, Helpline, or Grants business units.
- Develop and manage a press outreach strategy for the region.
- Expand our reach beyond the digital rights community, develop regional hotspots with local partners, and run thematic campaigns, in coordination with the digital engagement team.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant partners and stakeholders in the region; contribute to coalition building and take part in the human rights ecosystem in the region, including by attending and/or organizing events.
- Participate in coordination of the work of the team and contribute to the overall flexibility of resource use, including through setting priorities, preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and maintaining basic budgets.
- Contribute to RightsCon programming and arrange gatherings or meetings with regional stakeholders.
What skills and mindset you should have
- Passion for our mission, with understanding of the unique challenges at-risk and marginalized communities are confronting, as well as familiarity with developments in technology and its impact on human rights
- Knowledge of the human rights and geopolitical environment, as well as nuances of culture and communication styles, in countries throughout Latin America and the Caribbean
- Experience in advocacy, journalism, communications, campaigning, or organizing, and the proven ability to apply this capacity towards complex and concurrent goals
- Excellent persuasive writing and speaking skills, and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
- Proven capacity to design solution sets that achieve meaningful change in fluid and rapidly changing contexts
- Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
- Fluency in English and Spanish
It is helpful to have
- Experience having worked for the non-profit sector, especially human rights NGOs
- Experience working with a distributed team, and effective project management and internal communication in that context
- Working proficiency in another language relevant for the region, such as Portuguese
- Basic knowledge in digital security best practices, or a comfort with learning new technologies and technical concepts
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Past experience with a CRM system or management of a contact database
- Comfort with social media management tools, and a track record of success in using digital platforms to reach specific audiences
This is a full-time position. Preference is for applications from individuals with work authorization in Costa Rica, and who are able to work from our San José, Costa Rica office space once it reopens. We may also consider particularly strong applications from elsewhere in the region. The successful candidate must possess the right to work at the location in which they will be based, and we are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Team members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please apply at our Careers Website by submitting your:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for this role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Careers Website; email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at [email protected]; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or reply to the original sender where applicable.