About Access Now
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, around issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, grants, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
Supporting our global Operations Team, the Bookkeeper maintains correct and compliant records for Access Now’s financial transactions, according to US-based Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and works to continually improve internal financial controls across the organization. The role functions in a highly-detailed and fast-paced environment, using sound initiative at all times.
This position reports through the Senior Accountant, works in close consultation with the Financial Controller, and aligns under the Director of Finance. The Bookkeeper works closely with the Operations Team in the fiscal management of the organization.
What You Will Do
- Enter Accounts Payable and reconcile
- Enter Accounts Receivable and reconcile
- Enter monthly Journal Entries
- Reconcile all cash accounts monthly
- Enter payroll and time allocations on a monthly basis
- Prepare monthly benefits schedules
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations
- Work with Operations Team to ensure posting of year-end vacation accrual schedule, in addition to other audit related processes and procedures
- Assist in budget preparation in Excel as required
- Assist with annual audits and special project audits required by grant agreements
- Assist with grant financial reporting and ad hoc reporting
- Research minor-scope work related to banking and foreign currency transactions
- Maintain all electronic files in cloud-based drives
- Assist with other assignments from Senior Accountant
Skills and Abilities You Should Bring
- Demonstrated professional-level work experience in accounting/bookkeeping roles
- Intermediate skill level in MS Excel (data filter, sort, basic formulas, Vlookups, etc)
- Knowledge and use of FundEZ accounting software
- Knowledge and use of SAP Concur billing and expense software
- Ability to work with a team and work independently
- Strong written and verbal office communication skills, with ability to work across global teams, financial and non-financial in role
- Exceptional attention to detail, with caution and capability to account for all transactions
- Strong ability to prioritize, plan, organize, execute, and bring tasks to completion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment across competing priorities and deadlines
- Adaptability, accuracy and independence
- Prior experience in virtual working environment
Helpful to Have
- Not-for-Profit/NGO organization experience
- Experience with and proficiency in G Suite, including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Docs
This is a full-time position, based in either the New York City or Washington, DC areas. At this time Access Now team members are working remotely full-time, with a likely return to office arrangements in New York City and Washington, DC, at some point in 2022. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive salary – commensurate with experience – and benefits packages that align with our office localities. For candidates in the US, initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated between $55,000 and $60,000 USD annually, and will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. Benefits for this US-specific role include paid healthcare – medical, dental, and vision – insurance, as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program match. All Team Members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through the APPLY FOR THIS JOB link:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, photo and address)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experiences in bookkeeping
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.