Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, Helpline, grants, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
As an Asia Pacific Policy Analyst, you will help advance the cause of digital rights and aid in public policy discussions affecting the future of the open internet in Asia Pacific. The internet is perhaps at its most diverse and rapid growth in this region, with both tremendous opportunities and complex challenges when it comes to protecting and deepening human rights in the digital age. Reporting through our Asia Pacific Policy Director, you will work closely with our regional policy staff, other colleagues, and our wider global organisation, in advancing our mission in the South East Asia region.
What You Will Do
- Track, analyse, and produce written work engaging with developments on privacy (data protection and surveillance reform), cybersecurity, digital identity, free expression and content governance, internet shutdowns, connectivity and telecom policy, and ICT law formulation in the Asia-Pacific region, with a particular focus on South-East Asia
- Develop external-facing analysis documents, blog-posts, country level policy briefs and other writing
- Create policy guidance on law and regulatory issues concerning digital rights coming from lawmakers, regulators, and other policymakers in South East Asia and the wider Asia Pacific region; help our team and allies in briefing stakeholders
- Assist in the development and coordination of our policy positions and other policy team work product, in coordination with our global policy staff and organisation leadership
- Coordinate with our advocacy team and campaigner leads on innovative and effective regional advocacy approaches to advance digital rights in the Asia Pacific region, including helping to design and execute relevant local language campaigns online and offline, manage relationships with the press and prepare communications products to help advance our mission
- Build relationships, manage networks, organise convenings, and support our partners, allies, and connected stakeholders in advancing the cause of digital rights at key international conventions happening in the Asia-Pacific region – in close coordination with other Organization team members
- Develop and deploy projects to aid with digital rights policy capacity and engagement opportunities for civil society and stakeholders in the region
- Assist with connecting civil society, grassroots groups, public interest technologists in the region with regional and international press, international institutions, lawyers, and technology firms impacting digital rights and technology policy issues
- Support the work of our regional policy team, Digital Security Helpline colleagues, RightsCon and global advocacy teams in better engaging with policy-makers, civil society, media, and other relevant communities on digital security and digital rights issues in the region
- 3-5 years of progressive experience working on technology policy and law, digital rights, digital security and activism, or international affairs in the Asia-Pacific region, ideally with a focus on Southeast Asia. Previous work experience focusing on or based in East Asia, South Asia or other parts of the wider region is a plus, but not required
- Ability to meet and prioritise multiple deadlines in a fast-paced and constantly developing environment, with proven ability to work remotely
- Proven experience in working with a global team and stakeholders across different countries
- Strong organizational skills and acute attention to detail
- Fluency in English required; fluency in languages spoken in Southeast Asia a big plus
- Demonstrated experience with project management, particularly across countries and cultures, is strongly valued
- Outside the current health Pandemic and related restrictions, able to travel throughout the Region
This is a full-time position based in the Asia-Pacific region, with a preference for candidates in time zones UTC +5.5 to UTC +8. The successful candidate must be eligible to engage in work at the location in which they will be based. We will be unable to sponsor visas for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Team members from all regions also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please apply at our Careers Website by submitting your:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, and your salary expectations
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Careers Website; email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at [email protected]; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or reply to the original sender where applicable.