Access Now is seeking an Advocacy Director to significantly expand the organization’s impact and manage a broad portfolio with responsibility for Access Now’s advocacy, communications, and digital presence. The position is a senior management position, with multiple direct reports, reporting to the Executive Director.
About Access Now
Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
The Advocacy Director will lead us to a new level of size and impact. They will manage a broad portfolio of issues and a dynamic team of advocates, communicators, and designers.
The position is responsible for leading Access Now’s global advocacy and campaigns, membership and coalitions, media and communications, web properties and social media, communications products, branding and design, and community fundraising; as well as playing an active role in the production of Access Now’s annual global conference, RightsCon.
The Advocacy Director works closely with the Policy and Technology Directors, with guidance and oversight from the Executive Director, to deliver on these responsibilities. The role includes several direct reports in the Eastern Standard Time zone, including full and contract staff, and not including interns. The position reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of the management team.
You’re an advocate at heart, and a manager in body. You have an instinctive knack for identifying and developing the strategies and partnerships needed to protect the internet and those who use it, and the global experience and outlook to do it right. You know the difference between when to name and shame and when to meet behind closed doors, whether you’re in D.C. or New Delhi, Brussels or Brasilia.
While you may have walked the halls of parliament or led a boycott, you thrive as a manager who can support a talented and dynamic team of campaigners. You have a vision for growth. You specialize in developing strategy and ideas and converting them into action through the development of effective processes. Your role is to oversee campaigns and create the systems and constructive environment to enable your team to succeed.
- Collaborating with Access Now’s senior management to identify and develop key strategic global advocacy initiatives that will further Access Now’s mission in defense of at-risk users;
- Supervising Access Now’s Advocacy team staff to implement campaigns and advocacy initiatives with clear and measurable outcomes;
- Developing and executing a comprehensive, substance-driven vision for Access Now’s global media and communications strategy, including the Access Now blog and weekly newsletter (the Access Now Express);
- Representing Access Now in coalitions and on advisory councils with partner organizations;
- Supervising production and management of Access Now’s digital properties, including the main website, issue sites, social media, communications products, and mailers;
- Overseeing the evolution and execution of Access Now’s visual identity, branding, and design products;
- Overseeing the development and execution of a community membership and online fundraising program;
- Developing materials for a range of audiences, including articles, op-eds, speeches, campaign content, press releases, blog posts, social media, and multimedia content;
- Responding to queries from the media, the public, and colleagues in the digital rights community and taking initiative to promote Access Now’s views in public discussion;
- Identifying and cultivating potential sources of financial support, including drafting funding proposals;
- Regularly representing Access Now in the media, at public events and conferences, and before relevant governmental and other policymaking bodies as necessary.
- Multiple years of relevant professional experience (communication, campaigning, advocacy, public relations, journalism) in outreach positions (campaigner, strategist, lobbyist, community manager, ambassador of fun, etc), with progressively increasing levels of responsibility;
- Strong team and project management skills with an ability to lead and motivate a multi-disciplinary team to meet and prioritize multiple deadlines in a complex and fluid environment;
- A demonstrable knowledge of relevant international human rights and technology policy issues and experience in advocacy, journalism, communications, campaigning, or organizing, and the proven ability to apply this capacity towards complex and concurrent goals;
- A proven capacity to synthesize complex information in fluid and rapidly changing contexts, and the ability to design solution sets to achieve meaningful change outcomes;
- Excellent spoken, expository, and persuasive writing and editing skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to communicate with a wide range of people from around the world;
- Fluency in at least one language other than English preferred, preferably Spanish, French, Arabic, or Portuguese; ability to travel internationally and domestically.
Nice to have
- Solid non-technical understanding of security technologies or better;
- A graduate degree related to human rights, communications, journalism, law, or other relevant field;
- Experience having lived and worked in the Global South;
- Experience planning and staging public programs, such as a conference, gala, or festival;
- Fundraising experience, such as writing and securing grants from foundations or public institutions.
This is a full time position based in one of Access Now’s locations in Washington, D.C. (USA), New York (USA), Brussels (Belgium), Tunis (Tunisia), San Jose (Costa Rica), and New Delhi (India).
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- Two references
Please remember to reference your email application with the subject line: “Advocacy Director – [Your Name]
Women and LGBTQI individuals encouraged to apply.
If you would like to submit your application encrypted please email it to email@example.com / PGP Key: 0x1F2EC60E.
Published: May 2017 and applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.