About Access Now
Access Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, around issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, grants, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
Access Now is seeking an Accountant to support and work with our Operations Team, and with global team members across the organization. This position reports to the Financial Controller, and aligns under the Director of Finance and HR. As Accountant, you will work closely with the Operations Team in the fiscal management of the organization. You will maintain correct and compliant records for Access Now’s financial transactions, according to the U.S.’s Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and will work to continually improve internal financial controls across the organization. This role is perfect for a detailed bookkeeper with experience in non-profit and/or non-governmental organization work, who shows sound initiative, and who excels in a fast-paced environment.
What You Will Do
- Enter and create invoices, pledges and donations – and manage accounts receivable
- Enter reconciliations of all reimbursements, advances, credit card and debit card transaction data
- Enter monthly journal entries
- Reconcile all cash accounts monthly, including petty cash across the global offices
- Reconcile all schedules in our Statement of Financial Position (monthly, quarterly, annually)
- Enter all payroll and the time allocations on a monthly basis
- Capitalize assets and maintain a depreciation schedule to post the annual journal entry
- Work with Operations to ensure posting of year-end vacation accrual schedule, in addition to other audit related processes and procedures
- Assist in budget preparation in Excel as required
- Generate monthly budget-versus-actual reports and related initial analysis, particularly in preparation for Board Meetings
- Assist with annual audits and special project audits required by grant agreements
- Assist with grant financial reporting and ad hoc reporting
- Research minor-scope work related to banking and foreign currency transactions
- Maintain all finance paper and electronic files
- Assist with other assignments from Financial Controller
You Should Have
- Demonstrated professional-level work experience (2+ years) in accounting/bookkeeping
- Experience working in or supporting a not-for-profit organization
- Strong written and verbal office communication skills, with ability to work across global teams, both financial and non-financial in role
- Exceptional attention to detail, with caution and capability to account for all transactions
- Strong ability to prioritize, plan, organize, execute, and bring tasks to completion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment across competing priorities and deadlines
- Adaptability and accuracy
Helpful to Have
- Knowledge and use of FundEZ
- Experience with and proficiency in G Suite, including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Docs
This is a full-time position based in our New York, NY office.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
We offer benefits to help our employees grow, embrace new challenges, and advance their careers, including comprehensive health benefits, generous vacation and holiday leave, opportunities for travel, and access to our global network of knowledge and expertise.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- Cover letter
- Two references (may be professional or academic)
When emailing your application, please include “Accountant – [Your Name]” in the subject line.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Access Now is an international human rights organization committed to inclusion, and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
This commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. Women, people of color, LGBTQI individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
For further information, please contact Bryan Rogers, Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com; PGP Key: 0x676DA406, or, alternatively, reply to the original sender.